How to Create a Lead Magnet
Since I get asked how to create a lead magnet at least once per week, I wanted to write a blog post to help explain exactly how it’s done.
The first thing to know is that creating a lead magnet is not difficult. You’ll want to create lead magnet that solves a problem your ideal customer avatar (ICA) is struggling with.
Pro Tip: Your lead magnet should solve ONE problem and do it in a short period of time.
It’s important that you create a lead magnet that addresses what your audience wants, not just what you think they need.
Let’s cover some of the things to include, consider, etc. before you start creating lead magnets.
Why You Should Create a Lead Magnet
You might be wondering if you need to create a lead magnet. The answer is yes you do, for several reasons. Here are some of the main reasons:
1. To build credibility and authority – Lead magnets are a great way to build your credibility with your audience. People that can organize information in a simple to understand manner, are perceived as knowledgeable. So, if you create a few lead magnets and other content that your audience finds useful, you’ll eventually be seen as an authority in your niche.
2. To be seen as a “giver” that provides valuable information – Building an audience or email list is similar to investing money in a bank. How? You have to make deposits before you can ever earn interest and ultimately make withdrawals. A lead magnet is a great “deposit” in that it gives valuable information to your ICA, which then builds the know, like and trust factor.
3. To build your email list. If you create a lead magnet that people in your target audience find useful, they will gladly give you their email address in exchange for it. As a result, your lead magnets and other content can help you grow your audience and your email list much faster. Before you know it, you’ll have your first 100, 500 and then 1,000+ subscribers.
5 Steps to Creating an In Demand Lead Magnet
#1 – Identify one problem your ICA is struggling with.
If you already have an audience, ask them for their input. Or, if you are just starting to build your audience, do a little research to figure it out. You can use Google, Facebook groups, forums, etc. to see what kind of questions people are asking.
#2 – Develop a solution to the problem, that can be conveyed in an easy to understand manner (series of steps, an outline, checklist, etc.)
#3 – Determine the best mode (checklist, video training, webinar, etc.), to provide your solution to your audience
#4 – Create your lead magnet – Organize the information into an easy to understand format. Make sure it delivers what you promised by solving the problem.
#5 – Give your lead magnet an attention grabbing title
Lead Magnets Ideas
Here are some of the most popular lead magnet formats:
- Content Upgrade
- 5 day email course
- 5 day video course
- An audio recording
- A video training
- 5 day challenge
- Resource library
Outlining Your Lead Magnet
In order to create a useful lead magnet, start by identifying the problem you’re going to solve. Next, identify the solution and write that out. Then, spend some time thinking through the best way to explain the solution “the how.” Finally, the “how” is going to make-up the bulk of your lead magnet.
The solution may be best explained in steps, a list, or demonstrated via video (i.e. a tutorial.) Once you have the problem and solution outlined, next decide on the best format to deliver the content. For example, can it be presented as a checklist, 5 page report, or is it best explained via video?
The choice of format is yours. I would recommend you try a couple different lead magnet formats to see what your audience responds to best.
Keep this in mind when creating your lead magnet:
- Make it only as long as it needs to be to effectively provide the solution.
- Use a captivating title
- Have a call to action (next step) at the end of your lead magnet
Your Call to Action
Your lead magnet should always include a call to action (CTA). A call to action helps your audience know what to do next.
Also, using a call to action gets your audience accustomed to taking another action. Here are some examples of CTAs you might use in your lead magnet:
- Join my Facebook group
- Click the subscribe button
- Click here to learn more about my free 5 day challenge
- Hit reply and tell me what you would like to learn more about
- Click here to read my blog post
- Click the link below to subscribe to my podcast
- Fill out the form below to get my free report
Giving Your Lead Magnet a Title
A great title for your lead magnet is a must, so make sure you give some real thought to your lead magnet’s title. The title of your lead magnet is what will capture your ICA’s attention and have them wanting to learn more.
Remember that people are looking for a solution to a problem when you are crafting the title for your lead magnet. So, make sure your title is compelling!
You can use some of the title formats below to both grab attention and show that your lead magnet provides a solution.
Here are some great examples of attention grabbing titles for your lead magnet:
- How to __________ without __________
- ___________ Ways to __________
- __________ Secrets to __________
- __________ Made Simple
- How I ________ With __________
- Do __________ faster with these __________ tips
- __________ Things I Wish I Knew Before__________
Using Templates for a Professional Look
Once you decide on the type of lead magnet you want to create, you’ll want to put some effort into making it look great. Now, you might have some great graphic design skills, in which case you already know how to make a pdf look great. If you don’t and would need to consider hiring a graphic designer, there’s another option.
If you are creating a document, you don’t need to hire a designer. You can head over to Canva and use one of the many templates they have available.
Canva has lots of template options that are easy to customize with your brand colors and fonts. They also have lots of other design elements and royalty free pictures. Using the templates, design elements, etc. will really make your lead magnet look professionally designed.
Start Building Your Email List...
This post contains affiliate links.
Once you finish creating your lead magnet, the next step is to have a way for people to get it. The easiest way for people to get your lead magnet is to have them request it via an opt-in form or a landing page.
I recommend that you set up an account with an email service provider (ESP) like ConvertKit which has both opt-in forms and landing pages. The benefit of using an ESP is that now only will you have access to the opt-in forms and landing pages but you’ll also have all of the email management functionality.
To learn more about how to you can use an ESP to deliver your lead magnet, read my blog post on Setting Up Your Email Service Provider.
Promoting Your Lead Magnet
Once you complete your lead magnet and set up your opt-in form or landing page, it’s time to promote it.
Your ICA isn’t likely to happen upon your lead magnet, so you’re going to have to help them find it. Here are some of the ways you can promote your lead magnet:
- Promote it on a Facebook or Instagram Live video
- Create Pinterest Pins that promote your lead magnet
- Run a Facebook ad
- Mention it in a Facebook group that you own or one that you are a member of (if they allow promotions)
- Promote it on your Podcast
- If you already have an email list, tell your subscribers in one of your weekly email messages
- Include description and a link to your lead magnet in your email signature line
Get creative with your promotion efforts and make sure that you are consistent.
Lead magnets are a great way to spend a little time putting some of your knowledge together and get rewarded with lots of subscribers.
Your lead magnet should:
- Solve one problem
- Have a great title
- Be consumable in a short period of time
- Have a call to action
- Build the relationship with your ICA by providing valuable information
- Position you as an authority on the topic
Grab My Free Resource "31 Lead Magnet Title Examples"
Enter your information in the form below and I’ll send it right over to you.